Amidst the tranquillity of the glorious mountains, lakes and rivers, the Lake District has lots of exciting things going on! From beer festivals to sports days, to live music and countryside shows, there’s always something to get involved with in this glorious part of the world.
If you’re planning your next Cumbrian break and want to know what’s happening, read on to discover the best Lake District events in 2023.
Need accommodation for your next Lake District event? Book one of our charming holiday cottages today.
What’s On in the Lake District
- KMF Trail Running Weekend: One of the biggest Lake District running events in the calendar, the weekend features 5k, 10k, 25k, and 50k races, which are accessible to all age groups and abilities. There will be an event village with food and drink vendors, plus cultural events including guest speakers, live music and guided activities.
- Dates: 19th – 21st May
- Location: Keswick
- Keswick Jazz and Blues Festival: A favourite with all jazz lovers, this international festival brings in some of the best jazz, blues and soul musicians from around the world. Dates have not yet been announced for 2023 but keep your eyes peeled.
- Boot Beer Festival: Every June, three traditional pubs in Eskdale get together to host this cracking beer festival. It’s a weekend full of great pub food, dancing, family activities, and, of course, amazing local beers and ales.
- Dates: 8th – 11th June
- Location: Brook House Inn, Woolpack Inn, and King George IV Inn, Ekdale
- Great North Swim: Get your swimmers on, and maybe a wetsuit, to take the plunge at this charity wild swimming event. Anyone can register, as they have a range of distance events, from 250m for beginners to a 10k race for seasoned swimmers. If you want a comfortable place to stay after braving the chilly waters of Lake Windermere, we have charming cottages in nearby Hawkshead and Skelwith Bridge.
- Dates: 9th–11th June
- Location: Windermere
- Cumberland Show: A good, old-fashioned country show, the whole family can have a great time looking at the sheep, horses, and vintage cars on show here. There’s also wrestling, a dog show, a craft marquee and a food hall with lots of yummy local produce to try.
- Dates: 10th June
- Location: The Showfield, Warwick on Eden.
- Kendal Calling: One of the biggest Lake District festivals, this weekend full of awesome music and scenic views, situated in the picturesque Lowther Deer Park, is definitely one to add to your summer calendar. 2023 headliners include the Kaiser Chiefs, the Happy Mondays, Mel C, the Blossoms and more crowd favourites.
- Dates: 27th – 30th July
- Location: Lowther Deer Park, Penrith
- Ambleside Sports: This family event continues a time-honoured shepherding tradition. Sample food from the market whilst you spectate at track races, dog trails, fell races, cycling, wrestling and more! Plus, there are sack races and a fairground to keep kids entertained.
- Dates: 27th July
- Location: Rydal Park, Ambleside
- Solfest: This family music and arts festival welcomes people from all over the UK to enjoy the great atmosphere, good music and nearby Solway coast AONB. With plenty of workshops and activities to try, a silent disco, and their very own Cirque d’Sol, it’s safe to say it’s a weekend full of fun.
- Dates: 24th– 27th August
- Location: North Lakes Country Park, Silloth
- Mayport Taste of the Sea: If you love seafood, don’t miss this food festival, which focuses on the rich fish and seafood that the Maryport area produces. There’ll be plenty to enjoy, including a producer’s market, a picnic field with live music, cookery demonstrations from live chefs, and plenty of kids’ activities.
- Dates: 12th – 13th August
- Location: Maryport
- Holker Chilli Fest: This spicy festival is one of the most looked forward to events in Cumbria. Hosted at the majestic Holker Hall and Gardens, the weekend-long event showcases local chilli suppliers, with a range of delicious food to sample. If you’re feeling brave you can even take part in the chilli eating competition! Dates are yet to be announced for 2023
- Location: Holker Hall, Cark, Grange-over-Sands
- Taste Cumbria Cockermouth: Foodie heaven, Taste Cumbria is revisiting the bustling town of Cockermouth this year for an unforgettable festival celebrating all the tasty food the Lake District has to offer. Think local producers, live music, a hot food court, and a street party to boot!
- Dates: 23rd – 24th September
- Location: Cockermouth
- Grasmere Guzzler: One of the most popular Lake District beer festivals, the Grasmere Guzzler brings the small village to life with people, live music, and most importantly over 100 types of ale and cider! If you want to be within walking distance of this beer lover’s paradise, why not book one of our Grasmere holiday cottages? Festival dates have yet to be confirmed for 2023.
- Location: Tweedies Bar & Lodge, Grasmere
- Lakes International Comic Art Festival: This unique festival celebrates comic art from all over the world! Hosted in Bowness-On-Windermere, it includes interviews with artists, workshops, book launches, a comics marketplace and events for children to get involved with. If you’re looking to visit, we have plenty of delightful cottages in nearby Ambleside that are perfect for your trip.
- Dates: 29th September – 1st October
- Location: Various venues in Bowness-On-Windermere
- Wasdale Head Shepherd’s Meet and Show: This historic get-together continues the tradition of shepherds meeting to show their ‘tips’ (rams) every October. Now a major Lake District event, this slice of Cumbrian life includes eclectic competitions like the ‘Best Beard’, ‘Best Shepherd’s Boots’ and ‘Best Shepherd Crook’ in show. There’s also a craft barn, trade stands, sports races, food vendors and more. Dates are yet to be confirmed for 2023.
- Location: Row Head Farm, Wasdale Head
- Kendal Mountain Festival: The UK’s biggest gathering of outdoor enthusiasts, this unmissable festival brings Kendal alive for four whole days in November. From talks, to film screenings, to guided lake district walks and runs, plus the Basecamp festival village with its party atmosphere, there’s something for every lake lover to get involved with.
- Dates: 16th – 19th November
- Location: Kendal
- Carlisle Fireshow: Every year around Bonfire Night, the sky above Carlisle is lit up with hundreds of fantastic fireworks. A great event to visit with kids, there is a funfair, food stalls and every other kind of bonfire night festivity you would expect. Admission is free, and all donations go to charity. 2023 dates are yet to be confirmed, but the event usually runs on the 5th of November.
- Location: Bitts Park, Carlilse
- Taste Cumbria Christmas: Tuck into mince pies, sip a cup of mulled wine and grab some Christmas treats for the whole family at Taste Cumbria’s Christmas market extravaganza in Cockermouth. Adults can enjoy the hot food court, and live music, and kids will love the fairground rides.
- Dates: 10th – 11th December
- Location: Cockermouth
- Ulverston Dickensian Christmas Festival: Step back in time, to a Victorian winter wonderland at this charming festival. Visitors are all welcome to dress up in traditional garb, to enjoy performances from local bands, mulled wine, stalls and costume parades. Dates for 2023 are yet to be confirmed.
Why Stay with Wheelwrights?
If you need a family cottage, or romantic getaway, close to all the action, Wheelwrights will be able to help. Our comfortable properties are situated in central Lake District locations, ideal for attending as many incredible Lake District events as you can fit into your calendar!
Browse our full range of cottages, to find the perfect base to enjoy your next Lake District event from.
If you want more information on which local events are accessible from our properties, just give our local team a call on 015394 37635 or drop us an email at email@example.com.